ESB2021- Translation Research Symposia
Monday September 6th 2021
1. Regulatory session
The session will share an overview on the Medical Device Regulation (MDR), starting to be fully in force in May 2021. It will illustrate the importance of the regulation throughout the life cycle of medical devices from their development to their market approval in Europe. A focus will be made on implants and biomaterials.
Lectures will be given by speakers with different background, representatives of start-up companies, large corporate companies and MedTech Europe, the European trade association of MedTech companies.
Companies and speakers:
– Stemmatters (Portugal) – Rui Sousa (CEO)
– Lymphatica (Switzerland) – Valentina Triacca (Co-Founder & COO)
– MedTech Europe (Belgium) – Merlin Rieschel (Senior Manager Medical Devices)
– Medtronic – Sofradim Production (France) – Yves Bayon/Jhony Mallet
2. Investment session
Start-up investment rounds are fundamental to boost business toward the market. In the biomedical field start-ups move in a highly competitive international scenario, therefore financial support must be framed in an effective scaling-up strategy.
The speakers, based up on their first-hand experience on these topics, will discuss these items with ESB scientists and researchers.
Companies and speakers :
– Besthealth4U (Porto, Portugal) – Sónia Ferreira (CEO)
– Bill Barber Consulting (USA) – Bill Barber (Founder & Innovation Consultant)
– Zcube srl (Italy) – Fabrizio Conicella (General Manager, Vice-President Innovup Association)
– EIC Health (Belgium) – Andreas Lymberis (European Innovation Council Accelerator, Head of sector EIC Challenge-based Accelerator)
– EIT Health Spain (Spain/Portugal) – Irene Sánchez (Business Creation Manager, EIT Health Spain)
Success Stories – War Stories
It is only sometimes that innovation takes a well-orchestrated route: a scientific breakthrough, a product derived from such knowledge, an academic-owned patent licenced to a start-up or a big company, regulatory approvals, market sales and shares climbing. Such orderly, stage-by-stage progression to success has been embodied in various widely circulated “bibles” of innovation models. However, this innovation cycle “fairy tale” is not entirely the rule, as most often an entrepreneur’s success story came from devising unexpected solutions to battle the same old problems and from “crazy” ideas to overcome false failures and to strive against all odds.
This session aims to tutor and inspire future promoters with entrepreneurship “war stories”, told in person by the chief executives of biomaterials-related companies, about the wildcards that were key to their success story.
Companies and speakers:
– WISE Srl (Italy) – Luca Ravagnan (Founder and CEO)
– Lattice Medical (France) – Julien Payen (CEO)
– UpNano (Austria) – Aleks Ovsianikov (CEO)
– HydrUStent SA. (Portugal) – Alexandre Barros (CEO & Business Development)
– Healper (Portugal) – Daniel Alves (CEO)